Tuesday, October 25, 2011

postheadericon Limitations + Unlimited God = Results


         Isn’t it amazing how God can use brief moments in time to teach us valuable lessons?  I experienced such a moment not long ago. It was only minutes before the beginning of a Sunday morning time of corporate worship. As the time drew near the chatter began to subside within the church worship center.  Those standing began to fill the pews.  I too was sliding in a pew with my family. I took a deep breath after a rushed morning.  Knowing how easily I can be distracted I whispered a short prayer, “Lord help me to focus on you and not those around me.”  
Then came the unexpected lesson.  His lesson would be brief but quite impacting. God did not provide a theme for the teaching.  But I will call the lesson, “Limitations + Unlimited God = Results”
Even though I prayed for no distractions, a distraction immediately happened.  My eyes locked onto a young man and woman coming down the aisle beside me.  The man was leading with the woman following.  He was talking. She was silent.   The scene passing me brought a smile to my face and joy to my heart because there was much more taking place than movement and words.  This couple was quite dependent on each other. And their dependence was quite obvious to others as well as myself.  You see, the man, a quadriplegic, was in a wheelchair. The woman was acting as his arms and legs but controlling the wheelchair.  But the woman was equally dependent on the man.  She needed his eyes because she was blind. Her white cane tucked under her arm.   Together their progress was smooth and steady. The sighted man was the navigator instructing the lady “pilot” when and where to turn and at what point to stop.  The young lady was the source of power and control moving them toward their destination.  
God reminded me though this act of mutual support how all of us have limitations or so-called disabilities.  Many of our limitations are not as visible as those of these two children of God.  But regardless of our inabilities we all have something to contribute in service to others. This couple had a common goal; join with others in worshiping their Lord.  I reflected on the reality that God sees what we cannot. His power is unlimited and can take us to destinations that we could never conceive, not to mention achieve without Him.
As I continued to ponder what I had observed in two Christians with visible limitations my thoughts turned to my two adopted children.  Both came to us as foster children.  Both entered life with what many would say were “two strikes against them.” And both have been given labels of, “disabled’, “special needs” and “handicapped.”
Neither my wife nor I had initially planned to provide them with a “forever family.” We were just seeking to help needy children for a season. But we not only discovered that they needed us.  We needed them; much like the couple needing each other as they moved down the aisle at church.  God used these two foster and later adopted children to challenge us, strengthen us and mold us for His glory.  God has blessed us through them in ways to numerous to count. Yes, there has been great heartache and at time even fear.  The pain and trials have been many.  But through it all there is an unexplainable peace and joy.  
But even before we adopted these two precious children God adopted us.  And it is only because of His adoption of me that I have the power to move forward in spite of my limitations. 
So, what are your limitations?  Who is guiding you? Who is providing the power to move you forward?  Think about it.

0 comments:

Followers

Powered by Blogger.